4 minutes reading time (840 words)

Warren Miller: My Movie Tour

Bad Gastein

After my first filming trip to Europe that Merrill Hastings publisher of Skiing News Magazine promoted for me in 1953, the only way to convince the airline to send me the second time was to promote a ski tour to the Alps via Scandinavian Airlines. 

At every one of the shows that fall and winter the audiences were all told of the opportunity to be in my next movie by going to Europe and skiing with me for three weeks.

After promoting the tour in about seventy-five cities that year, fourteen people signed up and I met them all in New York City for a fun filled, powder snow, three-week trip. This was only four and a half months after my young wife had died of malignant cancer of the spine. 

I was ill equipped mentally to handle the trip but the people had all paid in advance so there was no turning back.

The flight was a slow two stopper in a propeller driven plane. We had to stop in Gander, Newfoundland, to refuel and then again somewhere in Ireland. I assumed the plane had four engines because at least one of them would stop somewhere over the Atlantic and one did.

We finally arrived in Munich and grabbed the afternoon train to Kitzbuhel where a real surprise awaited us. The person arranging the ground portion of the tour for Scandinavian airlines assumed no one would book the tour so he or she had made no reservations. 

My 14 guests slept in eleven different inns, hotels and chalet. As soon as I got everyone settled, SAS in Los Angeles was called and notified of the nearly catastrophic start of my first annual ski tour and could well be my last at that time.

Arrangements were made so we could all eat together at least. The tour started off so badly for me there was no time to even think about taking movies. A perky little blonde lady was the first casualty of the tour with a broken ankle on the second day. While visiting her in the hospital she was already taking German lessons from her roommate who was reported to be an Austrian countess of some kind. 

The countess was almost out of money and sold me an antique pocket watch that was dated in 1898 and almost four inches in diameter. I endorsed a $20 traveler’s check to her and at dinner that night I was offered as much as $200 for the watch and silver chain. It is an antique in our home in Washington to this day.

By the time the group arrived in Zurs, Herbert Jochum had already heard of our plight and this time I spent the next five day sleeping on a sheet of plywood atop a bathtub in a pension. I could not go to bed until everyone had taken their bath. Officials from SAS in Los Angeles had flown to Europe to try and straighten things out. 

The only thing I could accept was that every member of the tour would be getting their share of room and board refunded. I tried to get their airfare back but since they had arrived sort of on time (on time meant they arrived on the designated day). 

I did save a lot of money on my travel expenses but the footage of skiing that was taken suffered a lot. As I had in the past, I covered up the missing footage with a lot more words than I did in subsequent years.

The following summer I was scheduled to lead a tour to South America aboard Panagra airlines but I ran out of time to do it and cancelled sixty days before the tour was scheduled to leave.

My second annual ski tour to Europe had adequate reservations and I mentally eased up on my responsibilities and took time off from the tour to spend a few days filming but I never ever had enough time to get the job done that I had set out to do. On the second tour we were skiing in Badgastein and decided to ski down to the next town and take the train back. 

This seems like a good time for one of the members on the tour to fall and break his leg. There were very few ski patrolmen in those days so I had another member of the tour haul his equipment down the hill and I skied down with him on my back. We caught the 5:53 train back to Badgastein with me carrying the 180 pound body with the broken leg on and off of the train and the two blocks to his hotel. 

Our concierge located a doctor for me and the message we got was just bring him in and I can take care of him. The doctor was four blocks from the hotel and so it was another backbreaking slog through the narrow streets of Badgastein with my tour customer on my back. He caught up with us ten days later in Davos, Switzerland. 

(Learn about the Warren Miller Freedom Foundation.)

Photo: Bad Gastein courtesy DirectSki.com 

Town Of Mammoth Lakes Could Be Facing Mammoth Debt...
Canadian Racer Nick Zoricic Dies After World Cup S...

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://www.snocountry.com/